Media Release: Australian Government Primary School Principals Back Public Education Paper - November 2015
The Australian Government Primary Principals Association (AGPPA) has given the thumbs up to a research paper titled Building Our Nation Through Public Education.
The research paper, written by Emeritus Professor Alan Reid from the University of South Australia, describes:
- Australia’s inequitable schooling system and explains how this has happened
- The consequences of having inadequate resources for children in need, the majority of whom are in public schools
- The need for Australia to support, nurture and strengthen our public schools and to celebrate the contribution they make for the common good.
AGPPA President Gabrielle Leigh said the radical political decision to provide federal funding to private schools in the mid 1960's has resulted in an inequitable funding structure for Government schools today.
“Australia must have a strong Public Education system for the common good.
“Our Government has an obligation to provide and maintain well-resourced quality public schools, available to all, in every community in Australia.”
AGPPA, representing 5,300 government public schools across Australia, will be launching the research paper on November 30 in Canberra and running open community forums in each State and Territory in early 2016.
... ICP 2013 Convention (Cairns) Report - audio recordings, presentation files.
Promoting and Advocating for Public Primary Schools
AGPPA's Strategic Plan is now available. Click here to download the PDF file.
This strategic plan will guide AGPPA's directions and activities into the future.
Search the Website
- Position Papers November 2016
- Media Release: AGPPA calls for greater understanding about the limitations of NAPLAN (16 Aug 2016)
- Media Release: AGPPA Calls for a Refocus around NAPLAN (9 Aug 2016)
- The State of Australia's Schools
- Media Release: AGPPA Welcomes new Shadow Education Minister (23 July 2016)